Saturday, June 28, 2008

Holy Crap, is it HOT

We've had something like 20 days over 100 degrees so far this year, and it has only officially been 'Summer' for just over a week. I don't usually go outside into the heat of the day, but today after my baby shower, put on by the gals at work, I was loading stuff into my car at about 1:00. It is sweltering. The sun bakes you like cookies in an oven. It is unrelenting. Now, I live in Texas for a reason - the climate. I like a hot summer and cold river. But whew. We are in a crazy drought, I happen to have a heater like aparatus for a belly these days, and we're having record setting heat. When I was first pregnant, everyone said "due in July? Oh you're going to be sooo hot" and my (silent) reaction was "gee, you think? July in Texas? hot?" No foolin'. I likely won't have to worry about my baby catching a chill wind, but I may have to worry about it melting away, like chocolate or butter.
There is so little life around the house this year. I have seen one walking stick that looked as withered and brown and scrawny as any stick you might see around these days. The cows all huddle in the shade. But good news - I did see the buffalos out in the field the other morning, before it got too hot, and I saw all three of the babies. I had only been able to see two of them lately, and I was worried. But there they all were! Three little cinnamon fuzzy beasts, lolling on the dusty ground.
We have a piece of our lane where the roadbase has been pulverized into a fine soft powder. I have been taking particular pleasure lately in standing in the soft powdery spot, in the cooling evening when the rocks are still warm. It's right by Charley's parking spot, so as he arrives home in the evening and unloads the equipment he used that day, I can stand there, wiggling my feet around in the soft powdery dirt and chat with him. It makes me really happy, and I feel really at home. I am definately enjoying my country life. It has not been such a nice thing to do to the white rug in the house, but a little spray off with the hose never hurt anyone on a warm Texas evening. Last year, that powdery dirt was usually a mudpuddle.
I had my last baby shower today, and I must say I have wonderfully generous friends and co-workers. We have many months of diaper service gifted to us, and lots of adorable and practical baby stuff. We have everything gathered for the birth, and after a few hours of diligent oven sterilization of a few things tomorrow, we will be completely ready. I have four weeks left - two of those left at work, and then two glorious weeks of lolly gagging around, going to the pool, cooking good food, hanging out with Charley, being hot, and waiting for the wee one to make an appearance.

No comments: