Thursday, May 3, 2007

Did I mention that my new husband is out of the country right now? He is galavanting in Guatemala, with little contact back home, but I did hear from him yesterday. He always emails me from internet cafes when he's away. I've never been in an internet cafe, or at least, have never relied upon one for internet service.
They have been caving near Coban for the last two weeks. A few folks have splintered off and returned home, camping out on our land as they pass through. Phillip has been sick. He's better now, though. Matt and Nancy might go do a gig for the Discovery Channel in Belize. Charley is going to kick it at a friend's mother's beach house on the Pacific side for a couple days and do some mangrove swamp kayaking. He was looking for postcards on ebay when he emailed me. The good news is that they are coming home! He and Phillip will arrive by bus sometime on the 13th or 14th. It's just nice to know, to have that date to looks forward to. He hasn't mentioned much caving, but I know they found a big one, because one of the early returning folks showed me some pictures. Charley did say they seem to be the only folks caving in that country.
I've been having great fun while he's away, going to music and community festivals, hanging out with old friends. I'm going to do some overnighter babysitting for D&O, my favorite kids, next week. And clean the house. I live like a messy batchelor when he is gone!
This time his absence really threw me off all my routines. It's been nice relaxing at my house alone, but I"m just getting adjusted. That was kind of a suprise, since we've been apart before. Definately something we'll do again in the future, so its got me thinking about how to make those transitions a little more smooth for myself. I felt like maybe I was just unprepared this time, with so much happening right before he left. I'll have to think on that.
It rained like hell again tonight. We've had a lot of rain, but we need it. It's been either nice and raining, or hot and humid lately. It is much nicer to appreciate the needed rain from a sturdy house than from in the car when I can't see the road. That was kind of a scary drive home tonight. Mostly, because I have to drive across a lot of creeks, and this part of the country is known for its flash floods, and I couldn't see the road. There was definately standing water in a few places. But I made it home by driving really slooooowwww and feeling the pangs of adrenaline in my body until I could drive more normally when the rain let up for a while. The adrenaline was kind of a metalic taste, or an electric feeling, mostly in my mouth. It definately helped me be more alert, and also a little stressed out. Our place isn't mucky, though, and it can get mucky with enough rain. Right now it is just wet and puddly. This wet weather does at least extend the comfortable temps into late May, and I am not complaining about that. Coolness and rain become something precious come August.
I have been thinking that our place needs a name. A Casita Something, or something. Just so I can say that instead of "our place" which sounds kind of boring. Compounds should have names. There is a miniature pony farm around here called "Little America". Like that. I'll have to give it some thought, and consult with Charley when he returns.

2 comments:

PrairieHomie said...

Your English teacher mom loves reading the new blog, DearieDoo, and yes, your homestead needs a name! Having just been there for the first time, Casita Verde or Casita Contento both come to mind.

Much love to you and Charley- here's to a happy reunion!

K.S. said...

I like Contento. I'll have to run it by Charley. And see if it sticks!